Monday 25 January 2016

Review - A Book for Her, by Bridget Christie

I first heard of Bridget Christie a few years ago when reading something about her performance at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and she seemed really cool.

See, Bridget is a comedian and her book, so named: ‘A Book for Her,’ is one of the best I’ve read since Caitlin Moran’s Moranthology.


I picked it up at Stylist Live last October, where I was lucky enough to meet Bridget herself, after her talk, and get the book signed!

In the book, Bridget chats about her outlook on life and feminism; which she really makes funny. I got some peculiar looks on the train when reading this for my sheer amount of giggling!

She’s just as fun on paper as she is in person, a wonderful quality not all of us possess.

'A Book for Her' shares Bridget’s thoughts on serious matters such as politics and FGM as well as her experiences of failed radio shows and the classic Gloucester Cheese Race, in which she jokes her ashes should be put in (a rounded seven-pound cheese), and her funeral party should chase down the hill, you know to liven them all up a bit.

Here are a couple of quotes from the book to entice you:

“When I was a kid, I asked my dad if gravity would have stopped the Ascension. He told me not to be blasphemous, and that there was no such thing as gravity. If there was it would have been mentioned in the Bible. I can’t believe I’m forty-three and I’m still not allowed to mention physics.”

“A fart is not only a political statement; it is also a weapon.”

(Christie, 2015)


So if you’re interested in modern, 21st century feminism, and you’re up for a laugh then this is right up your street.

You can pick it up at Waterstones for £14.99 and if you really enjoy it, why not see if you can get tickets to her live ‘A Book for Her’ tour, with tickets as little as £15 – I know I will be!

Love Rosie


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I love reading each and every one and i will reply as soon as I can! Make sure to leave me a link so I will be able to check out your blog too! Love Rosie xox