Saturday 12 September 2015

Summer of Books

At the start of the summer I made a promise to myself that I'd step up my reading game since I had the summer to spare.

I used to be an avid reader, getting through one a week, but since starting uni; work, social events, homework and sleep were prioritised. And I hate to admit it, but The Scarlet Letter sat on my bed stand for at least four months: unfinished.

But fear not book lovers, I have rekindled my love for the classic written word and gotten through quite a few these past few months (Six in fact!) So here I will share with you a few of my recent faves, and hope that you too will enjoy them as much as I did.




Jane Austen - Northanger Abbey
Now if you know me, you'll know I'm a true lit nerd. My favourite books of all time are the true classics especially Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. 
Northanger Abbey is about a young girl named Catherine Morland who is invited to Bath with family friends. There we see her meet many a people including a young man that she has her heart set on. As per with an Austen novel, it's full of scandal and twists which I'll not spoil for you. But I'll say this: if you're a fan of Pride and Prejudice, then you'll love this!

Caitlin Moran - Moranthology & How To Be A Woman
I've always loved Caitlin Moran. She is a very funny woman with fabulous hair. (I'm really hoping that I can bag some tickets to see her at Stylist Live! But back to books!) On my pre-holiday visit to Waterstones I went to pick up her new book, How to Build a Girl, and came out with two more.
I read How to Be a Woman, first, and was in fits of laughter chapter after chapter. She truly has a way with words which makes her storytelling sublime. Her stories are crazy and often unbelievable - I mean who else do you know that went clubbing with GaGa?
After whizzing through (HTBAW) I moved onto Moranthology which is made up of many of Moran's articles. It's more chatty and laid-back but the subjects are just as fun. She covers nicknames, stolen haircuts, party bags and a whole lotta Sherlock-love. Deffo worth a read. I truly can't wait to get cracking with How To Build A Girl. 

I even finished The Scarlet Letter - shocker! Another I'm currently loving is Anjelica Huston's autobiography - it's a gem!


What have you been reading this summer? Or have you read one of these, how did you find it? Leave me a note in the comments below or tweet me @leblogderosy 

Love Rosie
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I love reading each and every one and i will reply as soon as I can! Make sure to leave me a link so I will be able to check out your blog too! Love Rosie xox